Tuesday, January 18, 2011

RIP Chickens

O.M.G.  Yes, I just wrote OMG.  Our poor chickens have been decimated by two evil-hearted raccoons.  Okay, I say evil-hearted, but in reality I know they are just trying to survive.  They found a flock of chickens and they viewed them as relatively easy prey.  Considering the majority of our chickens have one wing clipped, then I guess I could agree.  But the truth is, I am really upset about this turn of events.

For one, I've enjoyed having our chickens, especially the Black Star ones that we've had since they were a day old.  They've moved with us from Vista to El Cajon, and now they only reached the age of three and they have been killed.  So yes, I'm bummed about that.  Second of all, we only have two chickens left!  And this means basically, no eggs for the foreseeable future.

My husband is going to work on building a new coop, utilizing the materials from the old one.  So now, I don't know whether to ask our neighbor if she wants to hold onto our two chickens (so this way hubs can get started soonest on rebuilding a new, enclosed coop) or if I should just go ahead and purchase some ammonia and spray it around our current coop.  Any thoughts?

Photobucket
RIP little chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment