Friday, May 20, 2011

Factoids

When you wear steel-toe boots for 12 hours...they hurt your feet.  Driving through the country is awesome...unless it's raining so hard that even your wipers on their fastest speed can't keep up.  Taking pictures of yourself with a state sign in the background is really cool....especially if you've never been in that state before.  Passing a sign that says "Center of the Nation - 28 miles," is pretty rad.  Driving on highways that only contain one way there, and one way back, is purty neat..unless it's raining hard, as noted above.  And finally...those signs on the side of the road that have a picture of a deer, then it says "For Next 5 Miles," is pretty pointless....when the sign is repeated every five miles.

North Dakota, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, United States
This travel blog photo's source is TravelPod page: Wiiiiild Horses
(copyright held by this website for this photo...I'm borrowing it cause the wifi at the oilsite is slooooooowwwww so I can't upload my own photos)

So the actual update on my life is...while I'm still a Betty Crocker, I am also officially, an oilfield worker.  Mind you, the actual work (what little I've done of it) is in a trailer onsite at an oil rig, so luckily, my job will be (mostly) indoors, in a heated trailer, operating computers that run surveys and logs and tell me how "my" tools are doing in the drill string.  Lotsa words that I'm only now getting to know and/or love. :)  My job title is "Associate Field Professional - MWD."

MWD stands for Measurement While Drilling...or as the roughnecks like to say "Movie Watching Dude."  And yeah, so far, I've watched a few movies. :)  But only because at the site I'm currently at, we haven't been able to start drilling yet.

As of right now, I'm based in Casper, Wyoming, but I'm at my first rig site in North Dakota.  I'm actually in the southern part of North Dakota, and either tomorrow or the next day, I'm being sent to Williston, North Dakota, which is about 5 hours from where I'm at.  I'm looking forward to experiencing an actual rig where we can drill.  My husband and babies are still in San Diego, and once I finish at the next rig, I'm looking forward to flying back out there and helping my husband pack up the U-Haul and then driving our butts out to Casper!  I've already rented a pretty cool house in what's called the "Big Tree," area of Casper.  It's in an awesome neighborhood, with great schools.  I hope Cash really likes his preschool.  I'm going to try to get him into St. Anthony's Tri-Parish school.  This of course, is all predicated on me being able to leave the oilrig in time to get back for my babies baptism on June 19th!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment