Saturday, January 1, 2011

Getting back to basics...starting with my coffee!

Mmmm...coffee. Like many other mom's, I am a coffee drinker. Ironic, cause before my first child was born, I wasn't big into coffee. If I did drink coffee, it was the fluffy, chocolate flavored mochas and that was it. Now, honestly, I'd feel like I'd die without at least one cup a day.

Once I started drinking & making coffee at home, I always used liquid vanilla creamer. For one, I didn't trust the powdered stuff, no idea why. Then...I read the ingredients in a bottle of Coffee-Mate liquid vanilla creamer and it read like this "water, sugar, partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil, casenate" etc. I don't even think actual milk was in this - just a milk derivitive! YUCK! Not even to mention that the sugar-free version has corn syrup solids - Holy crap!

So now, I've moved over to regular ol' half and half, making sure the ingredients list just says cream and milk. That's it. BTW, Target's skim half and half does NOT read just milk & cream, as an FYI. Sure, it's less sweet than the vanilla creamer, but when I had some coffee over Christmas Eve at my parents (they only have the creamer) and I took a taste of it, my mom looked at my face (apparently I grimaced) and she said what's wrong? I just told her I am so used to half and half now, that the creamer tastes violently sweet...and it was the sugar-free version, too!

My point is, I'm trying to get myself and my family back to the basics. Trying to cook more whole foods, more whole grains, using pastry wheat flour when I bake, etc. So, why not start with my coffee? That's one of the best things about the morning anyway!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I missed this when you wrote it... I love it, I have always been a coffee freak, and it has become worse over the years. I still drink my Foo Foo Coffee drinks but my true love is just plan black coffee. Life is always better with a good cup of coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete